United States Customs and Border Protection Paper
Please write in a cogent and clear essay format, using strong transitions between paragraphs and themes. Written answers should not exceed two pages per question, 12pt, single-spaced, 1 inch margins, excluding footnotes/endnotes. check your work against the rubric for clarity, logic, grammar, rationale, and completeness. Leave no concept, answer or idea unexplained. All sources must be cited with footnotes/endnotes Please cite the readings
3. One of the legacies of the 9/11 Commission is for DHS to know who is coming in and out of the country. This mission—of securing the US border—started with a narrow focus as an anti-terrorism program, but has expanded into an anti-illegal immigration and smuggling program. Border Security remains fraught with challenges for DHS and the Federal Government.
Select at least one major agencies in DHS that specifically engages in border security and immigration policy and explain it briefly. What is their mission, scope and authority?
2. Identify a challenge in border security policy currently, based on the UAC case or the readings, or current news, for that agency.
Provide an example of the challenge, and how government attempts to resolve the challenge.
3. How might DHS and the federal government improve the balance between maintaining the security of the physical, geopolitical border of the United States and the human rights and dignity of migrants entering the US regardless of legal status?
4. Foresight—the faculty of foreseeing what must happen—is an essential planning tool for homeland security and emergency management thinkers. For example, some people foresaw the consequence of a failing Syrian state—being the emergence of a violent Jihadist movement. (They now call themselves ISIS). Several authors have made predictions about where Homeland Security is going in the future, based on potential future threats and policy actions.
1.Make three predictions drawn from the reading lists of what future challenges exist for homeland security. Using your understanding of the course materials, what strategies, adjustments to current policy and actions should policy makers, homeland security and emergency management planners deploy to address these future challenges? Backup your answer with rationale drawn from the course materials
2. Offer your own “black swan” (read: unknown, or little thought of catastrophic event) scenario. Creativity is encouraged.
3.Based on the entire course material, what strategies, policies and disciplines can address your “black swan?”