The most impressive growth in the last decade was in four of the biggest emerging
economies: Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC). What are the new emerging
countries (e.g. MINT)? Discuss the effect of new emerging countries on global sup-
2. With reference to two case examples of India in this chapter (viz. auto supply and
seafoods), what is the difference in the role of second- and third-tier suppliers?
3. What are the specific changes McDonald’s fast foods chain had to make for the
Supply chains in emerging markets 201
4. Discuss the advantages of Unilever’s strategy of ‘self-help groups’ to penetrate supply
chains in rural India.
5. With the support of the Dangdang case example, discuss how quickly e-supply
chains are developing in China.
6. Discuss how the present downturn in the Brazilian economy and other countries in
Latin America (e.g. Mexico, Chile, Peru) may benefit global supply chains.
7. What are the current constraints causing a severe downturn in the Russian economy?
Discuss a strategy for future growth in Russian GDP, albeit theoretical for political
8. Discuss, with appropriate examples, the new growth opportunities and supply chain
challenges in the emerging markets of;
• Latin America
9. In the HLL case study of rural supply chains, should HLL enter the informal sector
in this way?
What are the threats and opportunities of such a step?
Should HLL roll out this business model?
If the company rolls out this model, what do you think is needed in order to
10. In 1997, Haier Group from China entered the market for wine coolers in the United
States and captured 60% of that specialised segment by 2002. What was their strategy
and why was it a success? Should Haier roll out this strategy for marketing larger
refrigerators in the United States